• Deed of property bought from the Maori people at Wahapu.

    Deed of property bought from the Maori people at Wahapu.

    In 1831 Scotsman Gilbert Mair bought a block of land at Te Wahapū where he established a successful ship repair dock and trading post. On the purchase document, which is written in Māori, the form of payment is listed against the name of the individual sellers. Total payment came to seven muskets, 400 musket balls, about three casks of gunpowder, 144 pipes, 290 pounds of tobacco, tools, flints, scissors and cooking pots. Each of the nine sellers signed with a signature or mark. One of the sellers was Hamu described as ‘Wahine maori’ (a Māori woman). Ana Hamu, the widow of Te Koki, chief of Te Uri o Ngongo, was a signatory to the Treaty of Waitangi nine years later.
    Deed of property bought from the Maori people at Wahapu, Bay of Islands, 1 June 1831. NZMS 645.
  • Deed of property bought from the Maori people at Wahapu.

    Deed of property bought from the Maori people at Wahapu.

    In 1831 Scotsman Gilbert Mair bought a block of land at Te Wahapū where he established a successful ship repair dock and trading post. On the purchase document, which is written in Māori, the form of payment is listed against the name of the individual sellers. Total payment came to seven muskets, 400 musket balls, about three casks of gunpowder, 144 pipes, 290 pounds of tobacco, tools, flints, scissors and cooking pots. Each of the nine sellers signed with a signature or mark. One of the sellers was Hamu described as ‘Wahine maori’ (a Māori woman). Ana Hamu, the widow of Te Koki, chief of Te Uri o Ngongo, was a signatory to the Treaty of Waitangi nine years later.
    Deed of property bought from the Maori people at Wahapu, Bay of Islands, 1 June 1831. NZMS 645.
  • >Deed of sale of land at Matauwhi Bay, Bay of Islands.

    Deed of sale of land at Matauwhi Bay, Bay of Islands.

    William Darby Brind, whaler and master mariner, first visited the Bay of Islands in 1820. Between voyages he lived at Matauwhi Bay next to Kororāreka, at first with one of Pōmare’s daughters and later with Rewa’s daughter Moewaka. In 1831 Rewa’s son and nephew sailed with him to England.

    In 1834 Brind bought 600 acres of the land on which he had been living from Rewa and his brothers for four double-barrelled guns and two hundredweight of gunpowder. Each vendor’s mark was witnessed by four Europeans.

    The 1837 addition to the deed seen on the right-hand page defined the boundaries between Brind’s land and Charles Baker’s adjoining property.
    Deed of sale of land at Matauwhi Bay, Bay of Islands, by Rewa (Arewa) to William Darby Brind of the ship Toward Castle … 23 February 1834. NZMS 1419.
  • Chart and plan of the property in the Bay of Islands.

    Chart and plan of the property in the Bay of Islands.

    Explorer, trader and land speculator Joel Polack lived first in the Hokianga and then moved to the Bay of Islands. He set up New Zealand’s first brewery in Kororāreka in 1835, and bought several areas of land from Māori. During an extended trip to England from 1837 to 1842, Polack promoted colonization in New Zealand in government circles and through two popular books he wrote and illustrated.

    He also subdivided his land at Te Wahapū into quarter-acre lots — perhaps the first such classic Kiwi subdivision — and auctioned them in London in 1840. This map was outdated in some details when it was produced. A somewhat grandiose Government House was shown at Waitangi near the “Township of Victoria”, a township on paper only, and the property at Ōkīato which the government had bought was still shown as belonging to Captain Clendon.
    Chart and plan of the property in the Bay of Islands, New Zealand, which will be sold … on Thursday October 29, 1840 at 12 o'clock in lots of 1/4 acre each. NZMS 647.
  • Manuscript map of the Bay of Islands showing land ownership and the names of owners. 1850s. NZ map 4277.

    Manuscript map of the Bay of Islands showing land ownership and the names of owners.

    The four principal areas of European settlement in the Bay of Islands in the early 1840s are shown on this map marked in red – Waimate, Paihia, Kororāreka and the Government Station (Russell/Ōkīato).
    Manuscript map of the Bay of Islands showing land ownership and the names of owners. 1850s. NZ map 4277.